1.31.2012

A Song For Simple Things


I've had this on my fridge for years, passed on by a dear friend. Maybe it was growing up on Mt Veeder with lots of freedom, siblings, fresh air and imagination - Corbin's words touch me.

'I have a heart for small and lonely things
First star; far steeple on a gathered town;
A need for separateness to heed a circling hawk,
Or know an owl's low and sleepy tremolo
Before the line of sun slices down the hills
To brighten golden boulders in a brook.
I am in love with lovely, simple things.

I've hungered long for shy and hidden things -
The plunging woodcock's amorous trilling from the sky,
A dazzle-sheen on beetle wing beneath the bark,
Old foxfire in a rotten stump I scatter with a stick,
Or cooling kiss of a milkweed silk along my cheek,
The pepper-tingle of nasturtium seeds I bite -
I am in love with hidden, simple things.'

HAROLD CORBIN

Photo by Kristen Loken / Flowers by Kathy Hoffman /

No comments:

Post a Comment